Thursday 6 December 2012

Phrasal Verb



A phrasal verb is a verb followed by a preposition or an adverb; the combination 

creates a meaning different from the original verb alone.


Transitive and intransitive phrasal verbs :


Some phrasal verbs are transitive (A transitive verb always has an object.)


Example : I made up an excuse. ('Excuse' is the object of the verb.)

Some phrasal verbs are intrasitive (An intransitive verb does not have an object.)


Example : My car broke down.

Separable or inseparable phrasal verbs :


Some transitive phrasal verbs are separable. (The object is between the verb and the preposition.)

Example : I looked the word up in the dictionary.

Some transitive phrasal verbs are inseparable. (The object is placed after the preposition.)

Example : I will look into the matter as soon as possible.

Some transitive phrasal verbs can take an object in both places.

Example : I picked up the book.

   I picked the book up.

No comments:

Post a Comment